Who are the folk high schools for?
Folk high schools are for everyone and there is no upper or lower age limit for when you can start your studies. You can attend folk high school during different phases of your life like after compulsory school, after general upper secondary school, when switching jobs or during your working career. Studies at folk high school give you the chance to find a field that suits you or develop your own skills.
Studies at folk high schools require skills in Finnish or Swedish because the studies are mainly in either of these languages.
Studies at folk high schools are the perfect fit for you if you for example
want to get to know a specific field, acquire deeper skills in a field or better your chances for further studies.
- want to better your learning skills, get to know yourself or learn to communicate better
- want to acquire a vocational upper secondary qualification, further vocational qualification or specialist vocational qualification
- want to try university studies and find your own route to further university studies
- already have experience from working life, but want to study or get to know a new field
- want to better your learning skills in the Folk high school year for youth of compulsory education age- study programme to continue to the upper secondary level
- you have moved to Finland and want to learn Finnish or Swedish
- you are looking for a new hobby or want to upgrade your skills in a short course
How do I apply for studies at a folk high school?
The application times to folk high school study programmes differ according to the folk high schools and study programmes, and you apply directly to the educational institution. The application times are usually in spring and summer, but it is a good idea to ask for possible openings all year.
Be sure to ask folk high schools directly about accessibility or about possible special arrangements to ensure accessibility.